Wednesday 2 October 2019

Python - Day Five (October)

WHAT I DID TODAY:


Today I finished the 'Date and Time' unit in the Python 2 course. There were only 6 lessons and it was pretty simple. It was just on how to write the date/time in different formats.



THE COURSE IS NOW 15% COMPLETE


And of course after the lessons, there was a review of everything I learned. I was told to add the time and date together.


ALL THE CODE I LEARNED TODAY



WHAT I LEARNED:


Since this unit was very specific, I mainly just learned how to make the computer generate the current time/date by using code and how to set it up in different formats.


  • The first thing I learned was the 'base' of writing time/date code. Writing datetime.now() automatically gives you the current date and time. After that just use the classic print command to print it out. 
EVERYTIME YOU USE THE DATE AND TIME MAKE SURE TO PRINT 'from datetime import datetime' at the top



  • The second thing I learned was that if you didn't want something specifically like for example the seconds, you can exclude that by writing print now.month , after doing that though, the program will only print out what you listed under the now = datetime.now() Here's a picture that shows what I mean.
ONLY MONTH AND DAY SHOWS UP

  • The third thing I learned was changing the formats. As you can see from the very first example image, it automatically prints out the date and time in this format: 



But to change the format to normal, like mm/dd/yyyy, you just need to write print "%02d/%02d/%04d" the / represents the split between mm/dd/yyyy. If you wanted to change it to : or - you can. And the 02 and 04 represents the number of digits, as month and day requires 2 digits while year is 4 digits. 

PICTURE SHOWING WHAT I EXPLAINED ABOVE
Another thing to note is that after "%02d/%02d/%04d" there is a % sign. In my other post I explained before that the code after the % corresponds to the order the variables that are listed after it.




WHAT I WILL BE DOING TOMORROW / NEXT TIME:


Next time I will be working on the next Unit in the course, which is 'Conditionals & Control Flow'  There is actually 15 lessons in this unit so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to go through it all. I'll probably go through half and then do the other half next time.

DESCRIPTION OF NEXT UNIT


No comments:

Post a Comment

Adobe Photoshop - Day 10 (June Final Post)

WHAT I DID TODAY / WHAT I LEARNED: For my final project, I thought for a while about what I could do. Then I remembered a while back I saw ...